Exxaro is a South African-based diversified resources group with interests in the coal, TiO2 and Alkali chemicals, ferrous and energy markets.
Although just nine years old, Exxaro’s pedigree and skills were built over decades as a company rooted in South Africa and respected by its peers for its innovation, ethics and integrity.
Based on a well-executed strategy, solid returns, access to funds and quality resources, Exxaro is a unique listed investment opportunity.
Our aim is to provide sustainable returns to shareholders and the countries in which we operate by being a world-class operator of a portfolio of assets, primarily in Africa, that are underpinned by growing global infrastructure and energy demand. This aspiration is be guided by our strategic objectives.
- Our capital expenditure programme is dominated by the coal business, a trend we foresee continuing over the next three years. Sustaining capex is up 36% compared to 2013 due primarily to a growing truck replacement programme for the Grootegeluk mine. Investment in coal expansion programmes included capex of R929 million for additional export volumes from Grootegeluk and completion of a bankable feasibility study for Belfast in Mpumalanga.
- The development of the Grootegeluk Medupi expansion project (GMEP) is concluded and the project handed over to operations to start delivering on its supply agreement with Eskom’s Medupi power station. Addendum 9 to the supply agreement is also concluded and a total of 3,1Mt delivered in accordance with the contract
- Further developments to the Mayoko project were stopped following the impairment of the project in June 2014. Further investment development will depend on the iron ore market conditions and development of rail-port infrastructure by the RoC government
- We are pleased with the commencement of the two wind farms for 239MW of renewable energy through Cennergi, the 50/50 JV with Tata Power.
- The future growth of Exxaro will be driven by the coal business as determined by the capex programme for the next three years. Firstly, we anticipate growth from Grootegeluk as we ramp up to meet the demand from Medupi power station. The Belfast project will provide further growth tonnage (2,7Mtpa) largely destined for export (2,2Mt). The latter end of this three-year outlook will see the beginning of the development of Thabametsi to supply the power station to be built in terms of the Department of Energy’s coal IPP programme.
OUR BRAND VISION
The Exxaro brand is built on a strong vision – Everything we do and deliver today will allow others to realise their vision tomorrow. At Exxaro, we look beyond the current commodities and operations and see the impact we have on people and the planet. This way of thinking is what drives our essence of “defining possibility”. We believe in the power of people and their ability to explore and shift boundaries which lead to success.
When inspired leaders in any specific field come together, one expects nothing less than greatness. Exxaro is no different. Formed by the merger of some of the biggest achievers in its industry, Exxaro’s leaders aim to build on the successes of their predecessors and push the group to unrivalled success. In short, Exxaro has no equal. It is a progressive, new generation South African organisation which aims to create possibilities for all involved.